Dedham is a mid size community with approximately 25,000 residents. It is bordered by nearby Needham, Westwood and Canton. Originally settled in 1635 by people from Roxbury and Watertown, Dedham is a community that is rich in history and culture. It was originally home to the first taxpayer-funded public school in what would be the in the United States and it prides itself on being the seed of American education. Founded only a couple of years after the town itself in 1644, the first schoolhouse was built in present day Dedham Square. Descendants of the first class would later become presidents of Dartmouth College, Yale University and Harvard University.
Modern day Dedham is made of a number of different neighborhoods that include:
- Oakdale: Located in the center of town, it is bordered by East Street to the west, Cedar Street to the south and east and Whiting Avenue to the north. Many of the houses in this neighborhood were designed by Henry Bailey Alden, who designed the famous Endicott Estate. Woodleigh Road was declared one of the best streets to live on in Greater Boston.
- Riverdale: Also known as Dedham Island, Riverdale is an island surrounded by the Charles River and Long Ditch.
- Greenlodge: This neighborhood runs along the axis of Greenlodge Street and the area between Greenlodge Street and East Street.
- The Manor: The Manor is a small neighborhood south of Sprague Street.
- East Dedham: This neighborhood falls between Mother Brook and the Boston line.
- Precinct One: Also known as Upper Dedham, it is located in the northwest corner of town between High Street and Common Street. It is located on the Westwood and Needham townlines.
- Ashcroft: Located between Cedar Street and Sprague Street, it includes Paul Park and Capen School.
- Fairbanks: This neighborhood is located between East Street and Wigwam Pond.
Points of interest in Dedham include Fairbanks House, Mother Brook (the first man-made waterway in the United States) and MIT Endicott House. It is also home to Legacy Place, an upscale outdoor shopping area.
Learn More About Dedham:
Other Featured Communities:
Featured Dedham Real Estate:
The property listing data and information set forth herein were provided to MLS Property Information Network, Inc. from third party sources, including sellers, lessors and public records, and were compiled by MLS Property Information Network, Inc. The property listing data and information are for the personal, non commercial use of consumers having a good faith interest in purchasing or leasing listed properties of the type displayed to them and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties which such consumers may have a good faith interest in purchasing or leasing. MLS Property Information Network, Inc. and its subscribers disclaim any and all representations and warranties as to the accuracy of the property listing data and information set forth herein.